Women’s Polo Takes Two Tough Losses on the Road

461
461

8The No. 7 Eaters made the journey to NorCal to take on first the the No. 10 UC Davis Aggies and then headed to Stockton to face the No. 8 Pacific Tigers. In their game against Davis, UCI was edged out eight goals to nine. Then the following day UCI struggled to bounce back dropping their game against Pacific, 9-12.

In their game on Saturday, April 7, the ‘Eaters matched up against the Aggies, who came into the game 16-8 but only 1-1 in conference play. The ‘Eaters, on the other hand, came into the match riding a two-game win streak including a win over BIg West opponent UCSB, and the ‘Eaters had a 2-1 record in conference play. The ‘Eaters matched the Aggies for points in every quarter but the second, putting up two to Davis’ three, that shortcoming would prove too much for UCI to make up for and they fell to the Aggies 8-9.

UCD opened up the scoring early in the first, but UCI quickly snapped back on the power play, when Senior Attacker Corina Toledo scored on the powerplay with just under six minutes left to play on the period. UCI went three for 10 on the power play, good marks compared to the Aggies’ one for seven on the day. The teams continued to trade points as the Aggies scored their own power play goal followed by another UCI goal. This time it was Senior Attacker Keana Eldridge who put ball to net to tie things back up again at 2-2 with less than three minutes in the quarter. When Davis managed another goal it looked like time was not on UCI’s side but Allie Loomis worked one past the Davis goalkeeper with just three seconds left in the first.

The second period saw the UCI put the game’s first consecutive points of the game together, as they opened the scoring in the second with over four minutes having been played scoreless. Cara Borkovec broke the scoreless streak and connected UCI’s two points, giving the ‘Eaters a 4-3 lead. Davis managed an answer to tie things back up, but UCI once again took the lead on a Power Play goal by Freshman Utility Tara Prentice. Two goals for Davis would be netted before the end of the half, the second of which was a 5m penalty shot that Jenna Phreaner could not stop despite her 12 saves on the night. UCI had no answer to the goals, giving Davis the 5-6 lead.

The second half saw fewer goals but higher tensions as the ‘Eaters threw shots on net trying to make up for the lead Davis had stolen at the end of the first half. Tara Prentice managed her second power play goal of the game to re-tie the game at six goals a piece. On a Natalie Seidemann goal the ‘Eaters once again took the lead. Two quick UCD goals would erase UCI’s lead and take it back for Davis, however. UCI’s Corina Toledo scored her second and tied the game at 8-8 with 4:38 left to play. Davis managed to stop all UCI efforts to take a lead, and scored a goal of their own taking the lead and the game 8-9.

The next day heading to Stockton the ‘Eaters looked to bounce back with a win. UCI looking for a strong start opened up the scoring with two goals. Cara Borkovec connected after a pass from Freshman Isabel Rack. Just over a minute later, with 4:12 to play Keana Eldridge scored on the power play. ‘Pacific began to push back as they netted their first of the game and then quickly adding four more to give them a 5-2 lead after stumping the UCI defense with five consecutive goals. UCI maintained composure and responded when Cara Borkovec again scored on the power play with 52 seconds left in the first quarter to bring the ‘Eaters within two points.

The second quarter began with each team trading points UCI’s coming from Keana Eldridge, making the score 4-6. Two more goals for the ‘Eaters and one form UOP brought the score to 6-7 at the half. UCI went 5-5 on power plays through the first half, but Pacific outshout the Anteaters 20-14. Pacific added three goals in the third, while Tara Prentice scored UCI’s lone goal on the power play.

In the final frame, Pacific opened the scoring giving them an 7-11 lead. UCI tried to erase the four point deficit. Natalie Seidemann brought the ‘Eaters within three when she scored on a pass from Tara Prentice. Keana Eldridge would also score bringing UCI within two but Pacific responded with a goal of their own making the score 9-12 with 2:30 left to play. The game would end without a comeback mounted, as the ‘Eaters head home for their next game on Friday, April 13, where the ‘Eaters hope they won’t need any luck as they host Big West opponent UCSD.