Monday, November 23, 2020
Home News Campus News UCI Hosts Virtual STEM Career Fair

UCI Hosts Virtual STEM Career Fair

UCI’s Division of Career Pathways held its second virtual career fair on Oct. 15. The event was held virtually to comply with COVID-19 safety procedures.

The STEM Virtual Career Fair, which is a quarterly career fair event, acts as a career site for professional development information and career opportunities throughout and beyond college. 

Previously, students used Handshake to view which companies would be participating in the event and where each respective company’s booth was located. However, with the change of circumstances, the fair was held entirely online. 

Although this specific career fair was geared towards STEM students, all students registered under the UCI Division of Career Pathways Alumni Services were welcomed to participate. 

A total of 75 companies, which ranged from the marketing, telehealth, technology, engineering and construction management industries, participated in the virtual event. Company workers engaged with those interested in receiving tips for recruitment and selection in their respective fields.

Such companies included Amway, Fujifilm Irvine Scientific, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP), Midea, the National Security Agency (NSA) and NortonLifeLock. 

Employers offered individual one-on-one meetings or informational panels where companies brought in representatives to discuss and provide information on their recruitment processes. 

Companies offered a range of levels of employment; some exclusively offered internships while others were willing to hire full-time employees.

The next career fair, which will primarily focus on internships, is scheduled to be held virtually on Jan. 21, 2021.Those interested in the fair can find the event information on the UCI Division of Career Pathways website

Jennifer Cheong is a Campus News intern for the 2020 Fall Quarter. She can be reached at jacheong@uci.edu