Wednesday, December 1, 2021
HomeNewsCampus NewsMulticultural Club Fundraisers Promote Diversity on Ring Road

Multicultural Club Fundraisers Promote Diversity on Ring Road

The return back to campus this year has brought about the return of student-led organization booths on Ring Road, which sell food and drinks to fundraise for their clubs near the Student Center on weekdays from fall to spring quarter. 

Many multicultural clubs are represented on Ring Road, giving students a chance to try out foods from different cultures while also supporting student organizations at the same time. Student-favorite snacks and drinks, such as boba, are sold. 

UCI Now, a free mobile application, has a “Ring Mall” feature that helps students see which organizations will be selling food on Ring Road and what times they will be present. 

One of the clubs present during Week 4 was UCI’s chapter of MAES: Latinos in Science and Engineering. 

“Our mission is to promote, cultivate, and honor excellence among Latino scientists and engineers. What we focus on is helping our members develop professionally and succeed academically, all while having a sense of ‘familia:’ like a home away from home,” MAES member and fourth year mechanical engineering student Jonathan Alderete said.  

MAES held a fundraiser selling different flavors of paletas, including traditional flavors like lime. Students could buy one for $3 or two for $5.

“[Paletas are] a traditional Mexican snack. These specifically are from a region from Mexico called Michoacán. I have family there, and a couple [of] other board members have family there, so it’s near and dear to our hearts as Hispanic heritage month comes to an end,” Alderete said. 

In the past, MAES has brought other Mexican classics to Ring Road, including tacos and a Mexican dessert bread called conchas. 

Chinese Association at UCI (CAUCI) was another sight on Ring Road. CAUCI works to share Chinese culture with everyone on campus and in the community, according to CAUCI Fundraising Chair and second year biological sciences student Serena Trinh. 

CAUCI’s booth sold bánh mì for $3 for half a slice and $5 for a full sandwich. Despite bánh mì being a Vietnamese staple, CAUCI does not restrict itself to celebrating only Chinese culture. 

“We mainly focus on Chinese culture, but we are open to other cultures as well. One aspect of us being more diverse is not limiting it to just Chinese culture, and you [don’t] have to be Chinese to join,” Trinh said. 

CAUCI will be fundraising every Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Ring Road. 

Student organizations interested in applying for a space on Ring Road can submit a request through UCI Eventive on the Student Center and Event Services website, which lists specific dates of when registration opens. Organizations may reserve Ring Road spaces “as early as [W]eek 5 of the quarter prior,” according to its website. 

Yuika Yoshida is a Campus News Intern for the fall 2021 quarter. She can be reached at yuikay@uci.edu.