Tuesday, January 18, 2022
HomeSportsBasketballUC Irvine Loses in Overtime to California Baptist University

UC Irvine Loses in Overtime to California Baptist University

The UC Irvine Women’s Basketball Team (2-2) lost to the California Baptist Lancers (2-1) in overtime, 88-93, at the CBU Events Center on Saturday, Nov. 20.

With 651 attendees in the arena, only 13% of full capacity, CBU started out shaky when redshirt sophomore forward Caitlyn Harper missed an easy layup. 

On UCI’s first offensive possession, sophomore guard Chloe Webb tallied a defensive rebound that ended with a missed layup. CBU scored the first three points of the afternoon when graduate student guard Ane Olaeta made her first three-point jumper of the night with an assist by senior guard Georgia Dale. 

CBU jumped out to an early 7-0 lead before UCI, courtesy of two free throws from Webb, put their first points on the board.

Olaeta assisted Harper on a layup to make the score 11-2, a nine point lead for CBU.

Olaeta was CBU’s the player of the game with eight rebounds, 17 assists, and 21 points. Olaeta also played well defensively with one block and four steals. Dale had a great night as well, with eight rebounds, six assists, and 19 points.  

UCI then went on a 12-3 run to tie the game when freshman guard Nikki Tom assisted sophomore forward Sophia Locandro with a jumper. Locandro also made the next layup to give UCI their first lead of the night at 16-14.

With 1:37 left in the first quarter, Dale made a three-pointer after a Harper assist, heightening the tension for CBU as UCI still had the lead by four points.

UCI started the second quarter strong as Tom recorded another assist, this time to freshman guard Hunter Hernandez. Tom had the most assists for UCI, making six throughout the match.

With 6:49 left, Tom made a layup, giving UCI a four point lead.

CBU kept chasing their lead for most of the second quarter. Harper scored again with an assist from Olaeta, followed by Webb adding another basket off an assist by Tom, making it 31-26 in favor of  UCI. 

However, three seconds left before halftime, Olaeta made a layup to tie the game 38-38 going into the break.

In the third quarter, UCI had one of their biggest leads of the night. The clock read 2:12 as redshirt freshman guard Kayla Williams assisted Locandro with a jumper to give UCI a 13-point lead. However, thanks to Olaeta’s jumper with six seconds left of the third quarter, CBU was only eight points behind, 61-69 going into the fourth quarter.

Approximately thirty seconds into the fourth quarter, CBU began to catch up with a three-point jumper by freshman guard Trinity San Antonio after an assist by Dale.

With 6:53 left in the game, UCI graduate student forward Naomi Hunt assisted Locandro on a jumper to bring the UCI lead to three points.

On the other side, Olaeta added another assist as San Antonio made a jumper to make the game 72-71, reducing UCI’s lead to one point.

With two seconds left, Webb made a free throw to tie the game and force overtime. 

As the seconds ticked by in overtime, Williams made a jumper to cut the CBU lead down to 88-86.

Olaeta continued to show her passing skills when, with two minutes left, she assisted Dale on a three-point jumper. Following this up, at 20 seconds left, Olaeta made a jumper, sealing the CBU victory with a final score of 93-88.

Following the loss, UC Irvine returned home to the Bren Events Center on Friday, November 26 at 2:30 p.m. to host Illinois State. 

Marcos Gonzalez is a 2021-2022 Sports Staff Writer. He can be reached at marcosg9@uci.edu.